Wednesday, 6 April 2016

A Simplistic Lifestyle

My very first lesson while being taught graphic design was that simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication. I have always applied this to art, as you can probably tell by my plain blog design, but I hope to implement it into everyday life. I wrote a blog post including a book called The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, which is all about how having a decluttered life = a decluttered mind. Clutter is not the same as mess. I'm someone who likes a clean space, and I tidy up almost everyday. What this book says cleaning up does, is hide clutter. If you were to get rid of everything you do not use, there would be no need to clean up. Along with reading this book, I have been following a lot of blogs that focus on simplifying your life, decluttering, minimalism, and all that fun stuff. I hope to reach a point where I own less than half the items I have building up right now. I want to be more minimalist, and focus on passions and experiences, rather than material possessions. I have four months off of school which means when I'm at home, I don't have homework or projects to be focused on. During these four months, I plan on doing everything I'm going to list in this post. I guess my main goal is to write everything I have to do to live a minimalist life, so I can feel really bad about myself if I don't reach my goal by the time school starts up again (hah). Also, inspire anyone reading to do the same. With all of the money I have spent on clothes, makeup, and products, I could have probably gone on such amazing trips. Experiences trump material items, especially being so young, and having so much more to discover. What I'm going to do is break up all of my tasks into different sections, and talk about each specific thing I need to do in order to achieve my goal. If you are interested in this lifestyle, or on how I plan on carrying out simplicity, keep reading!


Products: Makeup, Body, Nails, Hair - I think I have the entire store of Sephora in my room. No joke. The amount of makeup and products I own is ridiculous. I just keep buying and buying, I have at least seven different lotions in my room. I have a pretty big dresser, and it's covered in hair, skin, and makeup products. I also bought a set of three drawers at Walmart to keep all my makeup in, which is full. On top of that, I have a huge makeup bag where I keep everyday makeup, and an even bigger makeup bag to hold all of the items that don't fit on my dresser, or in my makeup drawers. I also have a box in my closet of things I don't use regularly, but didn't want to get rid of.
  • There is absolutely no way I use all of my makeup. It's going to be hard, but I'm going to throw out every piece of makeup I do not use on a monthly basis. I will throw out my set of makeup drawers to stop any temptation of buying more makeup than I need. The only time I will purchase something, is if I run out of it (or Kat Von D releases new shades of her liquid lipsticks...no one's perfect). This is probably going to be so hard for me to do, but I know I'll feel refreshed after I'm done. I bought an acrylic makeup organizer on Amazon,  my new rule is all my makeup has to fit on it. No more than that.
  • I have multiples of the same product. I will buy a new body lotion just because I like the way it smells, even though I have a billion others at home. Again, I will throw out (or give to a family or friend, if hygienic) a lot, so I only have one of each product. There's no need for multiple hairsprays, hair oils, body oils, and lotions of more than one brand. 
  • After working at a beauty supply store with an amazing employee discount, I have a shite load of nail products. Polishes, oils, files, you name it. No exaggeration, I have probably 15 red nail polishes, all with slight colour changes. Again, something that's going to be really hard for me to get rid of, but there's no point in keeping all of this if it's impossible to use. I only need one of every item, and definitely don't need all that I have. 

Bookshelf - My bookshelf is full of stuff I don't need. Aside from books I read for enjoyment (which I plan on keeping or donating), I have so many old text books from previous semesters. The only excuse I can think of why I have kept them is that they were expensive. I have to accept the fact that they are no use to me anymore, and the damage has already been done, whether I keep them or not. 


Clothes - I find myself donating clothes every week, but I'm constantly running out of closet space. I have been blessed with a big closet, and a set of six drawers, all completely full. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have too many clothes. Not to mention the huge collection of purses sitting at the top of my closet. 
  • I like the idea of a capsule wardrobe. A capsule wardrobe is essentially owning only 30-40 items of clothing, including bags and shoes with the exception of workout clothes and underwear. The clothes you own should be classic, timeless pieces. This way, you spend less time getting ready, but still look good.
  • Being the huge shopaholic I am, I know it's going to be nearly impossible for me to stop buying more clothes. My solution: every time I buy a new piece of clothing, I have to donate an old one. I'm hoping this stops me from over stuffing my wardrobe again. 

http://stylizimoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Omkledningsrom_Vinkelveien21.png


ETC
  • The "junk" drawer. Everyone has one. Everything in there has to go, no exceptions. I don't even open it because of how much anxiety it gives me, there is nothing in there that's important if I don't even have to urge to go in it. 
  • All of the papers I find throughout my room; stuffed in my shelf, under my bed. If it has had no relevance to me in months, it's going to be recycled. If I need it, I have a file where I keep important papers. But, that file is going to be the only space I allow myself to keep them. So I have to decide what's worth keeping.
  • CD's... I've kept them because of memories. I don't even own a CD player anymore.
  • Being the nerd I am, I have a lot of...toys. Action figures, replicas, all type of memorabilia. At first, I had no idea how I was going to go about this. I decided since collecting these is a hobby, whatever can't be displayed properly will be given away. 
  • I'm going to paint all of my walls white. Not only is it simple, it's timeless. Right now, I have two white walls, one dark grey wall, and one wall that has a Victorian style wallpaper on. As cute as it is, I've had it since I was 14, and I'm ready for something new.
  • Buy white sheets. Same reason, simple and timeless. 
  • Use less tabs - one of my favourite minimalist blogs proved how much time you save only having one tab open. Something about less distractions. 
  • Remove any file or graphic on my computer that I don't need anymore. I'm making new graphics every week, my desktop can get a little cluttered. 




I'm hoping by the end of this huge lifestyle change, I own a lot less stuff and learn to appreciate everything I do have more. If you are interested in becoming a minimalist, I highly recommend The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Not only does it inspire you to live a much simpler life, but it does a much better job than I did on explaining the benefits of living that way. Here are some of my favourite blogs that expand on the subject:


If you're up for it, try decluttering, and downsizing to become more minimalist. I know it's going to be a long, difficult process, but I'm excited for the refreshing feeling once I'm done. I already know that I'm going to feel so light and fresh. I'll probably be back with a result post, to show if I've succeeded, and how the whole journey was.



20 comments:

  1. If you're serious about the capsule wardrobe I recommend tartanbrunette.co.uk
    After reading hers and your posts about it I'm seriously thinking about doing it myself. Having less stuff would be liberating - I really have a lot of junk and need to hire a van every time I move house!
    Bethany
    wardrobespareoom.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll check it out!
      I feel overwhelmed about the amount of stuff I have.. I feel like this whole minimalist thing would make life so much easier.

      Delete
  2. I should read that book. I really need to tidy up my space.

    XoXo Noma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I have a junk drawer, actually each set of drawers I own has it's own junk drawer. How bad is that?! :O I really need to sort through all of that plus my book shelf.

    Sally - DiagonSally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone does, it's such a horrible habit haha.
      I find myself sorting through things all the time. I think once I get rid of stuff I won't have this problem anymore.

      Delete
  4. I'm in the midst of a big clear out at the moment and it's pretty touch but I agree in the long run it's so much nothing. If I keep hoarding the way I do and buying stupid stuff I won't be able to move in my house anymore! Haha! xx

    http://www.thatnewdress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it is once you finish!

      Delete
  5. Clearing out some of your makeup collection will no doubt be difficult, though worth it as you'll only be left with the products you regularly love and use! Good luck creating a capsule wardrobe, I've heard many people praise that method of wardrobe-organisation :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, I'm a huge makeup junkie, I'm scared for they day I have to clear it all out. And thank you! I'm hoping this would save all the cleaning up I have to do :)

      Delete
  6. I'm definitely a bit of a hoarder, it's so hard to let things go sometimes! Especially since I feel like I spent money on it so I want to keep it as long as possible. I think this new mentality you are talking about sounds like a really good idea, I need to practice this as well!

    www.prettyinleather.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read the book before you do, great inspiration :)

      Delete
  7. I'm reading that book, love it!!!
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: ANOTHER ONE FROM THAILAND: PRINTED SKIRT

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have junk drawers and it gives me anxiety as well. I've been "decluttering" since last year. I got rid of three bags of things but there's still so much that has to go. I'm having the hardest time declutting my closet! I've gotten attached to old pieces.

    Love, Richel. | Richel Goes Places

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also gives me so much anxiety, which is why I'm trying to be more simple. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. this is a long blogpost. lovely! x

    jess x | wellwellgirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of this so much! Thanks for sharing. Last time I gave out unused makeup to my friends and it feels so good to have unwanted stuff out of my sight. I definitely cleared out a lot of space too!

    Chlariss | Silent Dances And Glasses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited to start clearing everything out once the semester ends.

      Delete