Wednesday, 30 March 2016

5 things you didn't know were triggering your anxiety



HealthyPlace describes an anxiety trigger as an object or situation that can cause your anxiety symptoms to appear. Here are some unknown triggers that cause anxious behaviour:
  1. Caffeine - I used to be a huge coffee lover, but after finding out that caffeine contributes to my anxiety, I quit. Caffeine was just not worth being on edge all the time. I do still love coffee, but I'll only drink decaf. I've converted more toward herbal tea, and I feel a lot better about myself. I allow myself to have one English Breakfast tea a day, just because I get a headache if I don't have one, but even that is a lot less caffeine than coffee. It's extremely mood altering, and increases heart rate, which can sky rocket anxiety. Here is WebMD's article on coffee-induced anxiety.
  2. Stress - Definitely the main contributor to my anxiety. While a certain amount of stress is a normal part of life, stress and anxiety disorder do not work well together. I find myself most anxious during exam week, which is usually a concerning time. Finding good coping mechanisms for stress relief is so important if you are diagnosed with any anxiety based disorder. I find that keeping a planner with me is so useful, and keeps me motivated. There are many other methods, such as yoga, that will also help.
  3. Medication - This goes for anti-depressants (or any other medication for mental illness) and any other meds that you have been prescribed. Always talk to your doctor, and do research before taking a medication. I will always look up possible side effects to see if anxiety is one. If it is, I'll know that if I'm feeling anxious for no apparent reason, it might just be my medication. Always talk to your doctor before starting or stopping medication. 
  4. Alcohol - Like most 20 year olds, I enjoy having a few drinks with my friends. I will always feel anxious the next day, it's a given. If you're anxiety isn't severe, you might not experience anxiety drinking alcohol at all. If you do, you don't have to worry. It's always nice to have a couple of drinks. I will just mentally prepare myself for the next day. I'll make sure that I'm not doing anything important, and I can take a mental health day if I need to. If I'm having an anxious day and plan on going out with friends at night, I will make the decision not to drink that night. It's all about working around your feelings. 
  5. Too much self pity - I have always said it's okay to feel sad, and sorry for yourself. But there is a limit. You'll have good days, and bad days. Take advantage of the good days, and spend your bad days caring for yourself. 

If you're feeling anxious for no reason, it might be one of those triggers listed above. There are a lot more triggers that we probably don't know of, but I found these are the ones that cause my anxiety to increase. I hope this post helped, let me know of any other triggers, or if these ones apply to you.


8 comments:

  1. Oh caffeine... I didn't know that! I should probably stop going to Starbucks as much then! My anxiety is so bad at the moment due to stress from exams... I just can't wait till I have some free time to myself!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still go to Starbucks, just decaf everything! Haha, I know the feeling.

      Delete
  2. This was totally great. Really helpful!


    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh...I think I might need to cut off the coffee a little bit...as I don't get any energy highs or such things from it (it basically doesn't do anything with my body), I might really need to start drinking decaf. For some reason I always forget that it exists :)
    xx Ronja
    www.sothisiswhat.com
    { CREATE THE LIFE YOU LOVE }

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same thing happened to me! Once I cut out caffeine, I felt so much better xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is informative! Never knew these things could have caused anxiety!

    Chlariss | Silent Dances And Glasses

    ReplyDelete